The sunny, warm weather we wait all winter for is finally here! While our minds are ready for the season change, it usually takes the body a bit of time to adjust to temperature changes and a drier atmosphere. Here are some simple tips for keeping the body healthy and balanced in summer:
- Recognize the early signs of dehydration: thirst, headaches, nausea, fatigue, and sugar cravings.
- Drinking water is necessary (remember if you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated), but add something else to it, such as cucumber, lemon, or even a tiny pinch of salt to help your body replenish minerals lost from sweating. Plain water will not be absorbed well if you've lost enough electrolytes.
- Nature knows best! Eating the foods in season, such as fruits and vegetables, can help you stay cool. Time for salads!
- Herbs like nettle, peppermint, and chrysanthemum make delicious teas that are both cooling and hydrating.
- Putting a cool, damp cloth on your head and on the back of your neck can help with heat exhaustion.
- Acupuncture lowers the body temperature by a few degrees.
Have fun this summer! We look forward to seeing you.
All the best,
Brenna, Nick, and Susie